What to Do When Injured in a Car Accident

What to Do When Injured in a Car Accident

When you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle crash, you are probably shaken up and unsure of what to do next. That’s why our Houston car accident attorneys at Denena Points, PC have compiled a step-by-step guide for what you should do following a car accident if you’ve been hurt.

Stop the Vehicle and Call 911

It is crucial that as soon as you are involved in an accident you pull over to the side of the road, if possible, and immediately call 911. The operator will need to know your exact location and what you can tell about the extent of your injuries and any injuries the other driver may have.

File a Police Report

By Texas law, any auto accident involving an injury must have a police report filed. Once the police officer arrives on scene, you will be able to describe to them, in detail, what you recall of the incident.

Exchange Insurance Information with the Other Driver

This is the time where you and the other driver will exchange not only insurance policy details, but vehicle registration numbers and contact information for one another.

If possible, this is also a good opportunity to record details about the accident. You can take pictures of the scene and ask witnesses for their information so that they can be reached by your car accident attorney.

Get Evaluated by a Medical Professional

Even if you feel alright, it is very important to be evaluated either by the emergency medical technician (EMT) on the scene, hospital staff, or your primary care physician to rule out or confirm serious injury.

Contact Your Insurance Company

As soon as you’re able, you will want to notify your insurance provider of the accident. However, it’s best to just let them know that an accident occurred and that your attorney will be in touch soon.

This is because Texas uses modified comparative negligence when determining settlement awards, and the insurance company will take any statement you make and use it to try to put the blame on you for the accident. This will potentially limit what they have to pay you—possibly unfairly or unjustly.

Seek Help from a Car Accident Lawyer

You will have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim against the person who caused your injuries. Denena Points, PC has some of the most reputable car accident attorneys in all of Texas.

When you’re ready to begin seeking compensation, schedule a free consultation with our attorneys by filling out the form below or by giving us a call at 713-807-9500. Once you begin working with us, we will always be your lawyers for life.