Houston Burn Injury Lawyer
Burns are some of the most traumatic injuries you can experience. The initial pain is devastating, and the long-lasting effects maybe even more so. Whether a waiter spilled a fresh pot of coffee on your lap or you were on an oil rig when it exploded, you will likely need extensive medical treatment and possibly even therapy for the emotional trauma.
These physical and mental ailments will be accompanied by massive financial costs, which you should not have to cover if you weren’t at fault. A knowledgeable Houston burn injury lawyer from Denena Points, PC can take the legal burden off your back and help you through the personal injury legal process.
Who Burned You?
Most burns occur in the home, making a defective product of some sort the most likely culprit when an outside party is to blame. Many also occur in motor vehicle accident fires, workplaces, or in business—sometimes involving premises liability laws.
Burns can be caused by explosions, building fires, or the careless actions of others around you. Since there are so many ways to be injured, it can be difficult to figure out who is liable for such an accident, but with the help of a Houston burn injury lawyer from our office, you can identify the culprit.
Burns Can Happen Almost Anywhere
Sometimes companies or individuals fail to operate or maintain equipment properly, which can lead to fiery explosions or electrocutions, both of which can cause extremely serious burn injuries. Exposure to hot elements such as boiling liquids, steam, hot surfaces, or open flames can quickly cause thermal burns, while caustic chemicals—that can be found in many surprising places—can rapidly damage skin cells. Even a poorly adjusted or malfunctioning tanning bed could cause radiation burns.
Whatever the cause, burns can happen at your workplace or at a business you’re visiting, but they can also happen in your home or on a friend’s property.
Common causes of fires and burns in the home are propane or gas grill explosions and water heater or space heater malfunctions. If you were using any of these products properly and got burned, severely or otherwise, you can hold the product manufacturer accountable. You should do this to protect your finances and your lifestyle—and also to protect other people from going through the same experience.
Burn Treatment by Degree
The severity of a burn is rated on a low to high scale of first-degree to third-degree burns. Burns are some of the most painful injuries you can suffer. They can hurt physically both at the time of the accident and for long after your wounds are healed.
The emotional and psychological trauma can last even longer. Surviving was once the only real goal when dealing with the worst burn cases, but modern medicine and reconstructive surgery have made reentering your home and community the new focus.
Every step of burn care is painful, and your life may never be the same. Your Houston burn injury lawyer will ensure that everything you go through is accounted for in your settlement. These are some of the treatments you may have to undergo:
- Significant medical care and an extended stay in the intensive care unit (ICU)
- Multiple surgeries over many days and months
- Immediate and continued rehabilitation
- Numerous skin grafts
- Plastic surgeries and other reconstructive surgeries
Burn Care Costs
Severe burns can be some of the most expensive wounds to live through, not only because the initial medical procedures are so intense and advanced, but also because of the negative impact burn injuries can have on your quality of life.
- Medical Care – You may require multiple rounds of extensive surgeries involving skin grafts and reconstruction.
- Medical Equipment – Depending on the location of your wounds, you may need breathing equipment or mobility equipment to help you get around.
- Lost Income and Wages – You will lose income during the hospital stay and recovery period, but you might also lose future wages due to a diminished ability to continue working the same number of hours or in your current career.
- Pain and Suffering – As mentioned, burn injuries are incredibly painful—physically and emotionally.
- Loss of Consortium – If your personal and spousal relationships are harmed, you should be compensated for it.
- Punitive Damages – Actions of extreme negligence may justify further compensation.
Your Houston burn injury lawyer will complete a full assessment of what your claim is worth. Everything you’ve lost or endured needs to be accounted for in your monetary settlement.
Consult a Houston Burn Injury Lawyer
If you have been severely burned and it was not your fault, you deserve proper compensation for what you experience. Please contact a Houston burn injury lawyer from Denena Points, PC immediately for a free consultation. Call 713-807-9500 or fill out the form below to speak with a friendly associate at your convenience.