Houston Wrongful Death Lawyer
Accidents can be devastating to your family. You have to face the pain that results, whether physical, emotional, or financial. The medical bills that are sure to follow combined with lost income due to time off work can be more stress than anyone should have to deal with.
Unfortunately, sometimes accidents go from terrible to downright unthinkable, and a wrongful death occurs. If your loved one has died in an accident, your family is almost certainly now experiencing immense pain and grief, with significant financial repercussions yet to be dealt with. When these losses are due to someone else’s actions or negligence, that person owes it to you to help, both ethically and legally.
A Houston wrongful death lawyer from Denena Points, PC can be an important part of saving your family from the most extreme hardships of the wrongful death of a loved one—hardships such as losing the roof over your heads or the ability to send your kids to college. The path to holding the responsible party accountable can be challenging, but with the right help, your family can get the restitution they deserve.
A Wrongful Death Could Be Caused by Anyone
While many wrongful deaths are caused by individuals in car wrecks and other types of accidents, many more are caused by the negligence of businesses and large corporations. These massive entities can contribute to many problems that may lead to wrongful deaths:
- Businesses that prioritize their profits over people’s health by producing defective products that are dangerous to their customers
- Drivers of 18-wheelers or airline pilots working exhausted or under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Companies that fail to provide safe workplaces for their employees, neglecting safety standards as they cut corners to increase their profit margins
All of these parties will almost certainly try to avoid paying for their blunders, but with help from a Houston wrongful death lawyer from Denena Points, PC, they can be forced into accountability.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Nationwide, car crashes are easily one of the leading causes of wrongful death, with over 3,500 motor vehicle traffic deaths occurring last year in the Houston area alone. It doesn’t matter if the other driver was drunk, driving distracted, speeding, or something else, if he or she caused the death of your loved one, you have a right to seek compensation.
Accidents involving 18-wheelers and other large trucks are particularly likely to cause traffic fatalities. Due to the massive size advantage these commercial vehicles have over passenger cars, wrongful deaths occur in these accidents at a higher rate than in other motor vehicle accidents. They also have their own nuances, however, as determining who was really at fault—the trucker, a trucking company, or some other business—can be a serious challenge. At our firm, a capable Houston wrongful death lawyer will help you pinpoint who caused the death of your loved one and hold them accountable.
Industrial Negligence and Workplace Accidents
In 2014, half of all US oil field deaths were in Texas. Deaths due to accidents on or involving oil rigs rose sharply during the recent oil boom. Sadly, even during the more recent oil bust, deaths are still up.
Many companies—both in the oil industry and outside of it—sometimes skimp on inspections or safety equipment, leaving their employees in dangerous working conditions that sometimes result in injuries and even fatalities.
Wrongful Death Rights
There are many elements that can be sued for in a wrongful death case, including funeral expenses, the deceased’s lost earnings, emotional distress, and other damages. It can all be very confusing, as well as hurtful to think of your loved one’s loss in monetary terms. A Houston wrongful death lawyer from Denena Points, PC can take the reins of the runaway legal cart so you can focus on family.
- Medical and Funeral Expenses – The cost of end-of-life care is very high. Medical procedures that eventually failed to save your loved one will still require payment. Additionally, funeral costs have increased over the last twenty years and now average between $8,000 and $10,000.
- Future Earnings – The loss of your loved one is immeasurable, but legally it must be calculated financially. Your family’s lifestyle deserves to be sustained despite the loss of your family member’s income. Even a child’s death can destroy a family financially due to college debts.
- Pain and Suffering – The practical losses are one aspect, but the emotional turmoil a wrongful death puts your family through is an expense of its own. You are entitled to monetary compensation for that anguish.
- Punitive Damages – When someone is found to be malicious in the actions that lead to the death of your loved one or if the negligence was reprehensible, more severe monetary penalties could apply.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in Texas?
Generally, close relatives can file wrongful death suits, but Texas limits these to spouses, parents, and children. Sadly, grandparents and siblings cannot usually file due to Title 4, Chapter 71 of Texas law.
Free Consultation with Houston Lawyers
You deserve to be properly supported after the tragic loss of your loved one, but the legal road can be extremely difficult to traverse. With the help of a Houston wrongful death lawyer from Denena Points, PC, you and your family can begin to focus on healing while we handle the complex legal process.
Call 713-807-9500 to contact a helpful Houston wrongful death lawyer from our office, and schedule a free consultation. Alternatively, complete the form at the bottom of this page to have someone contact you. Lets get to work!