What Do I Do After a Car Wreck? | DENENA | POINTS

What Do I Do After a Car Wreck?

There are several things you need to do if you have been injured in a car accident. Of course, if you are injured, worry about getting the proper medical care first. If you are in a car accident, take the following steps:

  1. Assess Yourself – The most important asset you have is yourself, so make sure you are okay. Call 911 if you are injured.
  2. Call the Police – When you call 911, ask them to send the police. Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums—not paying claims. The insurance company will do everything possible to avoid paying on a claim or to lessen the amount it has to pay on a claim. Avoid this possibility by insisting that the police come to the scene, determine fault, and file an accident report.
  3. Take Pictures – Use your cell phone or a camera to take pictures of the wreck and accident scene from as many angles as possible. Then move your vehicle to the side of the road. Take pictures of the cars involved that clearly show the damage done and where the impact occurred.
  4. Exchange Personal and Insurance Information – Get the name and phone numbers of everyone involved. Take down the license plate numbers of cars. Be sure to get insurance information from everyone involved, including the policy number and insurance company name.
  5. Get Information – Obtain contact information for all witnesses, including name, phone number, and address. Do not forget to get cell phone numbers and email addresses.
  6. Contact the Insurance – Call your insurance company and report the claim. You must do this under the insurance contract you signed. If you are not at fault, this will not cause your rates to go up.
  7. Be Careful with Communication – Do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company until after you have spoken with an attorney or at least requested and read a copy of our free book.
  8. Do Not Sign Anything – Do not sign any document sent to you by the other driver’s insurance company, such as medical authorizations, lost wage forms, or release documents, until after you have spoken with an attorney.

Connect with a Houston Car Crash Attorney

Having an experienced attorney on your side after a crash is essential to moving past the wreck. Denena Points, PC can help you obtain the full compensation you are entitled to so that you can recover to the fullest extent possible. Schedule a free consultation to find out how best to handle your claim by completing the contact form below or by calling 713-807-9500.