What Are Non-Economic Damages in Texas?

What Are Non-Economic Damages in Texas?

Accidents happen, and anyone can be injured. When you’re injured because of someone else’s negligent actions, you’re entitled to compensation.

But Texas law allows for more than just compensation for financial losses like medical bills, property damage, and lost wages. You can also recover compensation for intangible suffering you’ve experienced as a result of your injuries.

These damages are commonly referred to as non-economic damages. 

Types of Non-Economic Damages

The following are some common types of non-economic damages you can claim in a Texas personal injury lawsuit:

  • Pain and Suffering – This phrase describes the physical pain and emotional upset you endure as a result of an injury.
  • Emotional Distress – Perhaps you’ve experienced extreme mental anguish after your accident. You can be compensated for this type of immeasurable loss.
  • Loss of Consortium – This non-economic damage covers the loss of the social and emotional benefits of a family relationship due to injuries caused by the at-fault party. When the aftermath of an accident that wasn’t your fault leads to a breakup, divorce, or death of a loved one, you might be eligible to receive compensation for loss of consortium.
  • Lost Enjoyment of Life – After an accident, you may struggle to return to the hobbies or activities you once enjoyed. This is a category of loss that is separate from physical pain, mental suffering, and permanent impairment.

Your lawyer will help you assess exactly what your recovery will cost, how your quality of life will be affected, and how your injury will affect you in the long term.

Contact a Texas Personal Injury Lawyer

While economic damages can account for the damage your injury has caused to your bank account, non-economic damages can make up for the suffering you’ve endured, and we think that’s important.

To enlist the services of a Texas injury lawyer who can fight for the compensation you deserve, contact Denena Points, PC by calling 713-807-9500 or filling out the online contact form at the bottom of this page.