Houston work accident lawyers respond: In the Texas workplace, a worker might accidentally receive a workplace electrical shock from any one of these causes:
- An accidental contact with the exposed parts of electrical appliances or wiring;
- Electrical arcs or flashes from high-voltage power lines. Note that the worker doesn’t have to actually touch the line. The electrical current can leap one inch for each 10,000 volts of electricity in the line;
- Machinery or other work-related electrical exposure hazards; or
Our Houston work accident lawyers remind readers that at home, a worker’s children could suffer accidental electrical shocks from chewing on or biting electrical cords, or from sticking metal objects into an electrical outlet. Many young children do this and discover that they can create an interesting shower of sparks, without realizing that they can also hurt themselves.
The symptoms of an accidental electrical shock can vary widely depending upon the source and strength of the electricity, how long the victim remained in contact with the current, how the current moved through the body, and the person’s overall health and physical condition. And most injuries will generally be hidden beneath the skin, so that the injury from a workplace electrical shock might actually be far worse than it initially appears.
The symptoms of an electrical shock might include:
- Heart attack (cardiac arrest),
- Irregular heartbeat,
- Difficulty breathing or respiratory failure,
- Skin burns,
- Broken bones,
- Muscle spasms and pain,
- Changes in alertness or a loss of consciousness,
- Numbness and/or tingling,
- Difficulty swallowing, and/or
- Sudden vision or hearing problems.
Workplace electrical shock injuries can be quite severe. They can result in permanent disability and neurological problems. Because much of the injury tends to be “hidden” beneath the skin, some symptoms might not manifest immediately after the electrical shock accident. Learn the symptoms.
And if you or a loved one have suffered and electrical shock injury and you need help seeking fair compensation for the traumatic injury, contact our Houston work accident lawyers for a free and confidential legal consultation. Our experienced workplace accident attorneys will listen to the specific circumstances of your accident and help you identify all of the negligent parties potentially liable for your injuries. We could help put you on the path to the winning compensation claim and full financial recovery that you deserve because of the needless harm you’ve suffered.