What can I do if I was injured as a passenger in a car that wrecked in Harris County? | DENENA | POINTS

If a driver’s negligence results in an injury to you in Harris County, you may be eligible to file a civil claim against that driver to recover the full costs of your injury, including lost wages and the value of any future medical care you may require because of the injury. But our Harris County car accident injury attorneys emphasize that you must be able to establish that the wreck and resulting injuries were the fault of that driver, whether it was the driver of the car in which you were a passenger or the driver of another car that hit the one you were in.

 If the driver has been charged with a crime because of the accident, that charge could help you establish the driver’s fault and financial liability for your injuries. For example, on W. Little York near the Sam Houston Tollway just before 11 p.m. on Tuesday, the driver of a Ford Explorer lost control of the SUV and ended up in a rollover wreck in a ditch.

 We note that SUVs are more prone to rollovers than other types of passenger vehicles, and that the Ford Explorer has a particularly serious history of rollovers. The 20-year-old passenger in the Explorer received critical injuries from the accident and was airlifted to the hospital, though the driver only had minor injuries. Officers indicated that they would charge the driver, though reports did not specify the nature of the charge. (KHOU, 3/12/14)

 In a case like the example above, the driver might have been charged with speeding, DWI, running a traffic stop, making an unsafe lane change, or a number of other offenses. If you were injured by an accident, you should be able to request a copy of the police report documenting that criminal charge. Usually there’s a fee to get a police report in Texas, but if you’d like our help, the Harris County car accident injury lawyers at Denena Points, PC could obtain the police report for you free of charge. Just give us a call at 713-807-9500 or reach us by filling out our online request form.