What do I do after a car wreck?
There are several things you need to do if you are in a car accident. Of course, you can only do what you are able to do and if you are injured worry about yourself first. If you are in a car accident do the following things:
- Assess yourself. The most important asset you have is yourself so make sure you are ok. Call 911 if you are injured.
- Call the Police. When you call 911 ask them to send the police. Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims. The insurance company will do whatever possible to avoid paying on a claim or to lessen the amount it has to pay on a claim. Avoid this possibility by insisting the police come to the scene, determine fault and make a permanent record.
- Take Photos with your phone and them move your vehicle to the side of the road. Take pictures of the cars involved and the scene.
- Exchange Personal and Insurance information. Get the name and phone numbers of everyone involved. Take down the license plate numbers of cars. Be sure and get insurance information from everyone invovled including the policy number, and name of insurance company.
- Get contact information for all witnesses including name, phone number and address. Do not forget to get cell phone numbers and email addresses.
- Call your insurance company and report the claim. You must do this under the insurance contract. If you are not at fault this will not cause your rates to go up.
- Do not speak with the other driver’s insurance company until you have spoken to an attorney, or at least requested and read a copy of our free book.
- Do not sign anything. Do not sign any document sent to you by the other driver’s insurance company such as medical authorizations, lost wage forms or release documents until you have spoken to an attorney.